Sunday, March 05, 2006

Talked to my aunt in Lewiston NY today (near Niagara Falls) and she asked me if I had plans to go to one of the City's great museums. I broke it to her that my life in NYC was not that glamorous and that Ian and I were doing 50 pounds of laundry around the corner from my house. On the weekends I try to take the subway as little as possible and, instead, actually like bumming around my apartment - cooking, taking walks, reading - even though I've only visited a fraction of the museums here and have never been to the Bronx Zoo or Ellis Island. I wonder if the majority of New Yorkers are as crowd-averse at the end of the week as I am? I think the best time to do cultural things is during vacation - not go away, but stay home and explore. I also did a lot of wandering when I was single and living with a socially-inept housemate (there were many). I would get dressed as soon as I woke up, buy a TimeOut and take the subway anywhere that looked interesting. In the summers or whenever it was warm, I would challenge myself to walk as far as I could from wherever I had taken the subway to towards home. I would look down every street and go into any store or public space that looked interesting. I walked and walked until I wore myself out; that's when I would go home.

Sometimes, I miss the spontineity that I would allow myself to be guided by back then. I miss dancing too. When I have more time (outside of school or internships) I will inject my wardrobe with some cool again and go out to dance until 4am. Actually, if I could have a secret parallel life, I would DJ and dance in clubs (clothed of course) for a living.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home